Petition for Amendment to Zoning

Whenever the public necessity, convenience, general welfare or good zoning practice require, the Common Council may, by ordinance, change or supplement the regulation established by Chapter 115 or amendments thereto.  Such changes or amendments shall be subject to the review and recommendation of the City Plan Commission.

A change or amendment may be initiated by the Common Council, City Plan Commission or by a petition of one or more of the owners or lessees of property within the area proposed to be changed.

How to File a Petition
Petitions for any change to the district boundaries or amendments to the regulations shall be filed with the City Clerk, on forms provided by the City, no later than 5:00 p.m. on the Friday preceding the regularly scheduled Council meeting. 

Download Petition.

In no event shall any petition be filed later than noon on Wednesday preceding the regularly scheduled Council Meeting.  View instructions for late filings.

Filing Fee
$450.00 (cash or check payable to City Treasurer).

How to File an Objection
Any Objection to a petition shall by submitted to the City Clerk.

In the event of a protest against such district change or amendment to the regulations of this Chapter, duly signed and acknowledged by twenty per cent (20%) or more of the property owners within said rezoning or two hundred (200) feet radius, excluding right-of-way, such changes or amendments shall not become effective except by the favorable vote of three-fourths (3/4ths) of the full Common Council membership. 

More Information
For more information, refer to 115-83 of the Municipal Code.

If you have questions, contact the City Clerk's Office at (608) 789-7510.