Alley paving request can be introduced to the Common Council for consideration by the following methods:
Sequence of Procedure
- Where adjacent properties are zoned single-family or two-family, 60% or more of abutting frontage must sign a petition.
- No petition is necessary where adjacent properties are zoned single-family or two-family AND the adjacent property is more than 60% rental property.
- No petition is necessary in all areas zoned other than single-family or two-family.
- Petitions are to be submitted to the Engineering Department for evaluation.
Cost of Paving
- By August 1 of each year: Alley petitions for the following years' alley paving must be submitted to be considered in budget hearings
- Fall: City Council decides whether money will be budgeted for alley paving work, etc.
- Spring of following year: Public hearings held, project bid.
- Summer of that year: Contractor performs the approved improvement.
- Late Fall of the following year: Work is completed and final calculations are made.
- Beginning of the year after construction completed: Final assessment roll is calculated and adopted by Council.
The assessment can be paid in one payment or on a 10 or 15-year plan, which is added to your tax bill. If paid in installments, interest is charged on unpaid balance. The interest rate is determined by the interest rate the City pays on bonds or notes sold (rounded up to next highest percentage point) to finance projects. The City absorbs 20% of the total cost of the project and all storm sewer costs if required.
property assessment cost per foot
of frontage on an alley (for a standard 17'-wide pavement) for next year is $25.00
. Cost varies from alley to alley due to various factors that affect the assessment procedure and paving costs.
How to Petition
Complete the following form and submit it to: Engineering Department, 400 La Crosse St., La Crosse, WI 54601 or email it to the Engineering Dept