1002 West Avenue South
La Crosse, WI 54601
Powell Park opened in 1909 and is located by Fransican Skemp hospital. Powell Park is well known for the ice skating ring they have in the winter. During the summer there is a lot of stuff to do. There is a playground, shelter, a softball field, and plenty of open space.
- Softball Diamond
Powell Park started when Dr. George Powell and Dr. Will Powell purchased the land for $15,000 in 1909. It was purchased one year after the Board of Park Commissioners was created and was part of the plan to establish a comprehensive park system. It was designed for year round use with a big open area for field games and skating, with a smaller park-like area for parents and a future shelter. One year later, 1910, the land was graded, seeded, and trees were planted. Originally called Powell Park in honor of the doctors, the former land owners, the name was shortly changed to West Avenue Playfield.
A marble marker with the Powell name on it and an engraved white beaver was found embedded in the old Pump House used as the Street Department garage in 1959. A La Crosse Tribune survey conducted at that time brought calls from citizens saying that they distinctly remember seeing the marker in the northeast corner of the park. This same year the Park Commission restored the Powell Park name and planned to reset the marker back in the park. Also, the fountain with the white beaver base (Dr. Frank Powell's nickname) at Second and Main was to be exchanged with the fountain at West Avenue and Jackson.