Download the 2019 Pickup Schedule here.
Residential recycling is picked up every other week, depending on if you are in the light or dark shaded areas, on the day indicated by the boundary lines on the Pickup Schedule. Carts need to be placed out by 5 a.m. on your day of collection and should be returned to the storage location within 24-hrs of your collection day.
There is no collection on these holidays shown in red on the calendar.
- New Years Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
*If the holiday falls on a Saturday or a Sunday your collection day is NOT affected. If you have questions please contact the Recycling department at (608)789-7508 or Harter’s Quick Clean Up at (608)782-2082.
Excess recycling can be dropped off at Harter's Quick Clean Up or at the recycling container at the Isle La Plume Yard Waste Site free of charge. If the property owner would like to request an additional cart, please contact the Recycling Coordinator, Brandon Shea, at 789-7507.
Recycling Guidelines for City-Serviced Residences
The City of La Crosse uses the ‘Single Stream’ recycling system. This means all recyclable items can be placed in the cart together. Do not bundle or separate items.
Plastics ♳♴♶♷ (must be labeled as such)
- Clam shells-including berry containers
- Blister packs
- Tubs, Bottles, Jugs and Detergent containers
Newspapers, Magazines, and Phone books
Pressed Paper, Office & White Paper, Cardboard
- Cereal/Cracker/Snack boxes (not the plastic inserts)
- Soda boxes, Beverage cartons, Paper towel rolls, Egg Cartons
- Toothpaste/Soap/Detergent boxes
- Mail, Receipts, and Envelopes-including those with windows
- Cards & Gift wrap (no tissue or foil paper)
- Corrugated cardboard (no greasy cardboard, i.e. bottom of pizza box)
- Wax Boxes (ex. juice boxes)
Aluminum, Tin, Steel, and Copper Wire
- Aluminum, Tin, and Steel cans
- Empty aerosol cans, paint cans and lids
- Aluminum foil, plates, and containers
- Pots and Pans
- Christmas lights, Extension cords, Electrical wiring (no coaxial cable)
- Wire clothes hangers
Glass Jars & Bottles (any color)
Do Not Recycle
- Food soiled materials such as paper plates & pizza boxes
- Lids for jars, jugs, bottles - unless marked as recyclable
- Ceramics & Dishware
- Windows & Mirrors
- Plastic Bags or Plastic Wrap
- Shredded Paper (Bag and place in garbage)
- Packing peanuts or Bubble wrap
- Medical Waste
- Yard Waste
- Coaxial Cable
- All containers should be rinsed clean before placing in the cart.
- If lids are not marked with the recycling symbol, throw them away.
- Bags, newspaper, and office papers should be thrown loosely into the recycling cart; do not bundle.
- Shredded paper should be put in a clear plastic bag before placing in the garbage cart.
- Break down the cardboard and pressed paper materials to make more room in your recycling cart.
Common Reasons For Missed Collection
If your recycling cart is missed for reasons other than listed below, please call Harter's, 608-782-2082.
- Cart is not place correctly
- Trash is outside of the cart
- Cart is overfilled and lid is not substantially closed
- Cart is placed on a snow bank
- Contains unacceptable items such as yard waste, electronics, refuse, etc.