Download the 2017 Pickup Schedule here.
Residential recycling is picked up every other week, depending on if you are in the light or dark shaded areas, on the day indicated by the boundary lines on the Pickup Schedule. Carts need to be placed out by 5 a.m. on your day of collection and should be returned to the storage location within 24-hrs of your collection day.
There is no collection on these holidays shown in red on the calendar.
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
*If the holiday falls on a Saturday or a Sunday your collection day is NOT affected. If you have questions please contact the Recycling department at (608)789-7508 or Harter’s Quick Clean Up at (608)782-2082.
Excess recycling can be dropped off at Harter's Quick Clean Up or at the recycling dumpster at the Isle La Plume Yard Waste Site free of charge. If the property owner would like to request an additional cart, please contact the Recycling Coordinator, Brandon Shea, at 789-7507.
The City of La Crosse is now using the ‘Single Stream’ recycling system. This means all recyclable items can be placed in the cart together.
Plastics ♳♴♵♶♷♸♹ (must be labeled as such)
- Clam shells-including berry containers
- Blister packs
- Tubs, Bottles, Jugs and Detergent containers
- Styrofoam (must be marked with a recycling # and symbol; unmarked Styrofoam can be placed in the garbage)
Newspapers, Magazines, and Phone books
Pressed Paper, Office & White Paper, Cardboard
- Cereal/Cracker/Snack boxes (not the plastic inserts)
- Soda boxes, Beverage cartons, Paper towel rolls, Egg Cartons
- Toothpaste/Soap/Detergent boxes
- Mail, Receipts, and Envelopes-including those with windows
- Shredded Paper (place in clear plastic bag)
- Cards & Gift wrap (no tissue or foil paper)
- Corrugated cardboard (no greasy cardboard, i.e. bottom of pizza box)
- Wax Boxes (ex. juice boxes)
Aluminum, Tin, Steel, and Copper Wire
- Aluminum, Tin, and Steel cans
- Empty aerosol cans, paint cans and lids
- Aluminum foil, plates, and containers
- Pots and Pans
- Christmas lights, Extension cords, Electrical wiring (no coaxial cable)
Glass Jars & Bottles (any color)
Do Not Recycle
- Food Waste
- Soiled materials
- Lids - unless marked as recyclable
- Paper plates
- Ceramics & Dishware
- Windows & Mirrors
- Plastic wrap
- Packing peanuts or Bubble wrap
- Coaxial cable
- All containers should be rinsed clean before placing in the cart.
- If lids are not marked with the recycling symbol, throw them away.
- Bags, newspaper, and office papers should be thrown loosely into the recycling cart; do not bundle.
- Shredded paper should be thrown loosely into the recycling cart; do not bundle.
- Break down the cardboard and pressed paper materials to make more room in your recycling cart.
Common Reasons For Missed Collection
If your recycling cart is missed for reasons other than listed below, please call Harter's, 608-782-2082.
- Cart is not place correctly
- Trash is outside of the cart
- Cart is overfilled and lid is not substantially closed
- Cart is placed on a snow bank
- Contains unacceptable items such as yard waste, electronics, refuse, etc.