Tentatively, leaf collection starts October 6, 2014 and weather permitting, runs for 5 weeks. Collection crews can usually make four sweeps through the city in that time. A sweep is complete when the crews have worked from the north end to the south end of the city. Use the Leaf Collection Map to see where crews are working and for more detailed information, enter your address in the search bar and click on the street in front of your house. We update the map, both phone lines, and our City of La Crosse Street Department and City of La Crosse Refuse & Recycling Department Facebook pages daily during leaf collection. For phone updates call 789-7340 option 1 or 789-7508 option 2.
Placement of Leaves: Leaves must be placed on the boulevard for collection.
For Ease of Collection:
- Parking in front of the piles slows down collection time so if you see a truck working, refrain from pulling in front of them and parking. It will just take them a few moments to clear the leaves and continue on.
- Do not put leaf piles into the street or over catch basins. Keeping the leaves out of the gutter helps stop from clogging the storm drain.
- Do not pile leaves around trees or poles.
- Leaves mixed with brush or covered will not be collected.
Where can I dispose of leaves?
You can dispose of your leaves at Isle La Plume Yard Waste Site. After the Yard Waste Site closes for the season, November 21, 2014, you can stop in the office M–F, 7:30am–3:30pm, and staff will direct you accordingly.
Other leaf drop-off locations that are temporarily available throughout the City are:
- West Copeland Park past the boat landing
- Myrick Park near the trail head
- Shelby Ball Fields Parking lot
Leaves may also be taken to the La Crosse County Solid Waste Facility. Contact them at (608) 785-9572.