Currently, residents can only recycle Plastics 1 & 2, Glass, Metal, and Newspapers in their green recycling bins. New recycling carts will be delivered in December and January. Once you receive your new cart, follow the recycling guidelines below.
Residential recycling is picked up every other week, depending if you are on in the light or dark shaded areas, on the day indicated by the boundary lines on the Pickup Schedule. Carts need to be placed out by 5 a.m. on your day of collection and should be returned to the storage location within 24-hrs of your collection day.
There is no collection on these holidays:
- New Year's Day - January 1
- Memorial Day - May 26
- Independence Day - July 4
- Labor Day - September 1
- Thanksgiving - November 27
- Christmas - December 25
All collections following these holidays will be a day late.
The City of La Crosse is now using the ‘Single Stream’ recycling system. This means all recyclable items can be placed in the cart together. It is preferred that papers (including shredded), newspaper, cardboard, and bags are not bundled but thrown loosely into the cart.
(must be labeled as such)
Newspapers, Magazines, and Phonebooks
- Clean Styrofoam-cups, takeout containers
- Clamshells-including berry containers
- Blister packs
- Tubs, Bottles, Jugs and Detergent containers
Pressed Paper, Office & White Paper, Cardboard
Aluminum, Tin, Steel, and Copper Wire
- Cereal/Cracker/Snack boxes (not the plastic inserts)
- Soda boxes, Beverage cartons, Paper towel rolls, Egg Cartons
- Toothpaste/Soap/Detergent boxes
- Mail, Receipts, and Envelopes-including those with windows
- Shredded paper (do not bag shredded paper)
- Cards & Gift wrap (no tissue or foil paper)
- Corrugated cardboard (no greasy cardboard, i.e. bottom of pizza box
Glass Jars & Bottles (any color)
- Aluminum, Tin, and Steel cans
- Empty aerosol cans, paint cans and lids
- Aluminum foil, plates, and containers
- Pots and Pans
- Christmas lights, Extension cords, Electrical wiring (no coaxial cable)
- Soiled materials
- Lids - unless marked as recyclable
- Paper plates
- Ceramics & Dishware
- Windows & Mirrors
- Plastic wrap
- Packing peanuts or Bubble wrap
- Wax boxes i.e. - juice cartons
- Coaxial cable
All containers should be rinsed clean before placing in the cart.
If your recycling cart is missed for reasons other than listed below, please call Harter's, 608-782-2082.
If lids aren’t marked with the recycling symbol, throw them away.
Bags, newspaper, and office papers should be thrown loosely into the recycling cart; do not bundle.
Shredded paper should be thrown loosely into the recycling cart; do not bundle.
Break down the cardboard and pressed paper materials to make more room in your recycling cart.
- Cart is not place correctly
- Trash is outside of the cart
- Cart is overfilled and lid is not substantially closed
- Cart is placed on a snow bank
- Contains unacceptable items such as yard waste, electronics, refuse, etc.