A U.S. citizen, at least 18 years old, who has resided at a residential address for at least 28 consecutive days immediately preceding the election, with no present intent to move, not currently serving a sentence including probation or parole for a felony conviction, and is not otherwise disqualified from voting, is an eligible elector.
Anyone wishing to vote in the State of Wisconsin, where they are required to register, has three options to register:
- By Mail: Download the Application for Voter Registration (GAB - 131), complete the form and mail it into your municipal clerk's office up to 5:00 p.m. on the 3rd Wednesday (20th day) before the election.
Proof of Residence is required for any electors, who is not a military or permanent overseas elector, who registers by mail. If registering by mail, a copy must be included when submitting the registration application.
- In Person: Register in the municipal clerk's office up to 5:00 P.M. on the Friday before the election.
Proof of Residence is required for any elector, who is not a military or permanent overseas elector, who registers in person at the Municipal Clerk's Office.
- At the Polling Place on Election Day. If you wish to register to vote at your polling place, you must bring proof of your residency.
Proof of Residence in required for any elector who is registered to vote on Election Day.
For purposes of voter registration, the following documents constitute acceptable proof of residence if it includes:
A current and complete name, including both the first and last name and
A current and complete residential address, including a numbered street address, if any, and the name of a municipality.
- A current and valid (unexpired and not suspended or revoked) Wisconsin driver's license or identification card.
- Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit.
- An identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the card holder, but not including a business card.
- A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election.
- A university, college or technical college identification card (must include photo) ONLY if the voter provides a fee receipt dated within the last 9 months or the institution provides a certified housing list to the municipal clerk.
- A gas, electric or telephone service statement (utility bill) for the period commencing not earlier than 90 days before the day registration is made.
- A bank statement.
- A paycheck.
- A check or other document issued by a unit of government.
- An affidavit on public or private social service agency letterhead identifying a homeless voter and describing the individual’s residence for voting purposes.
- A residential lease that is effective on the date of registration (not valid if registering by mail).
You may present your proof of residence document as a paper document or as an electronic document on your smartphone, tablet or computer. An internet connection may not be provided for your use.
Am I Currently Registered? Where?
Voters who want to know if they are currently registered and where, visit MyVote WI at https://MyVote.WI.gov.
Where do I Vote?
It depends on where you live; contact the City Clerk’s Office at (608) 789-7510 or visit MyVote WI at https://MyVote.WI.gov.
What Ward am I in or who is my Council Member?
It depends on where you live; contact the City Clerk’s Office at (608) 789-7510 or refer to the Aldermanic Map under the City Council page or visit MyVote WI at https://MyVote.WI.gov.
What if my Name or Address has Changed Since the Last Election?
Complete a new Application for Voter Registration (GAB131).