Bluffview Park

28th Street & Jackson Street 
La Crosse, WI 54601
Map

Park Description

Bluff View Park was acquired by the City of La Crosse in 1957 for the Board of Education. Today, the park features a playground, tennis courts, two baseball diamonds, a basketball court, a shelter, picnic tables, an open area, and a gorgeous view of Grandad Bluff.

Park Amenities

  • Parking
  • Open Area
  • Playground
  • Basketball Court
  • View of Grandad Bluff
  • Tennis Courts
  • Baseball Diamonds

Park History 

The land now known as Bluff View Park was acquired by the City of La Crosse in 1957 for the Board of Education. The planned use of the 6.3 acre parcel was for a future elementary school. Under a lease agreement with the School Board ($1.00 per year), the Parks and Recreation Department used the area for skating in the winter and softball and a supervised playground in the summer. The area was never used for school purposes and became known as the 28th and Jackson St. Playground.

In 1977 a proposal was made and submitted to the City Council to swap Swanson Field (9.8 acres), which was under the jurisdiction of the Board of Park Commissioners, for the School Board's land at 28th St. and Jackson St. The deal was finalized in 1978. In 1979 the tennis courts were constructed. In 1981 the La Crosse Youth Baseball Independent League paid for and constructed two baseball diamonds. The park amenities also include a playground and a park shelter and, of course, one of the best views of Grandad Bluff.