1130 Copeland Park Drive
La Crosse, WI 54603
Check Shelter Availability and Reserve Online
Copeland Park was opened in 1909 and is located on the Northside of La Crosse. Copeland is well known for the train, being the Northside Oktoberfest grounds and for housing the Loggers baseball field. Outside of the Oktoberfest and the Loggers, there are many things to do there. There is a playground, two shelters, ice skating during the winter, tennis and basketball courts, fishing, and a splash pad.
- Open Area
- Tennis Courts
- Copeland Ball Field
- Softball Diamond
- Basketball Courts
- Ice Skating
- Floral Area
- Splash Pad
Copeland Park was started by Frederick Allen Copeland donating land in June 1909. Mr. Copeland was the owner of the La Crosse Lumber Company and a one-time Mayor of La Crosse in the years 1891-1892. Almost 30 years later, in 1936, a wading pool was installed to allow kids to keep cool and have fun in the summer. A year later tennis courts were added. After a few years of just land, the city decided to install a curb and gutters on the east side of Copeland Park Road (1941).
In September 1963, the Burlington Northern Steam Locomotive and the Milwaukee Road Caboose were placed in the park. The locomotive was built in 1930 by Baldwin Works of Pennsylvania and numbered 3002. The engine was used for work on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroads. In 1937, the engine was rebuilt, streamlined, and renumbered 4000-Aeolus (Keeper of the Winds). Railroad crews nicknamed her "Big Alice the Goon." The caboose is a vintage 1889.
A shelter for the Lions Club was constructed for $32,000 in 1975. A few years later, in 1984, Copeland Avenue was extended west and north of Rose Street Hill. At the end of all of this, the Lions Club shelter was razed and replaced with a larger shelter with kitchen facilities, bathrooms and a covered patio which cost $150,000 and was donated by Oktoberfest in 1985.