2324 Thompson Street
La Crosse, WI 54601
Erickson Park was opened between 1932-1939 which is located on the Southside of La Crosse. This park is well known for the pool. Although the park is known for the pool there are other things that are available at the park. There is a shelter, some open area, a softball field, and tennis and basketball courts.
- Open Area
- Bath House
- Ball Fields
- Batting Cages
Erickson Park started with the purchase of the land in 1920. This land was used for airport, Salzer Field and was previously leased. In 1932, La Crosse decided to abandon Salzer Field for a site on French Island.
Around the same time, the Mayor suggested that the land be sold, setting aside a portion for a playground and a small park. In November 1939, the athletic park on old Salzer Field was leased to the Edwin E. Erickson, Edward Newburg, and Larry G. Schafer of the La Crosse Baseball Association for ten years at a rate of $1.00 per year. The three men hoped to establish a professional baseball team.
To create more things to do at the park, a pool and bathhouse was constructed on the eastern end of the field in 1965. Sidewalks and landscaping within the two acres adjacent to the pool were added in 1966; two tennis courts and one practice court were installed in 1977; and two ball diamonds, one with lights and an outfield fence of 270' were constructed in 1978.