2000 La Crosse Street
La Crosse, WI 54601
Check Shelter Availability and Reserve Online
Myrick Park was opened between 1873 and 1880. Myrick Park is well known for playgrounds, shelters, tennis courts, and trails.
- Open Area
- Tennis Courts
- Floral Area
Myrick Park started as a purchase. In October 1837, the City of La Crosse paid Fanny Strasberger, $1,600 for 20 acres of land known for its "Turtle Mounds." In 1903, Lake Park was renamed to Myrick Park, after the first La Crosse settler Nathan Myrick. A couple years later, 1906, the music pavilion was erected at a cost of $800, plus $500 for electricity and sprinklers (the facility was demolished in 1974). About 20 years later, in August 1929, the new Myrick Zoo (permanently closed) was dedicated. The Veterans of Foreign Wars and Mr. Thomas Rooney presented Monkey Island to the citizens of La Crosse. Read more »