Pettibone Park

Highway 14/16/61 & Park Plaza
La Crosse, WI 54601
Map

Check Shelter Availability and Reserve Online

Park Description

Pettibone Park was opened in 1901 originally being in Minnesota but later became La Crosse property. This park is well known for the beach. Although, the beach makes it well known there are many other things there. There is shelters, volleyball, trails, a disc golf area, fishing, and plenty of open space.

Park Amenities

  • Bath House
  • Swimming
  • Beach Volleyball Court
  • Fishing
  • Parking
  • Open Area
  • Shelters
  • Trails
  • Disc Golf
  • Restrooms

Park History

Pettibone Park started as land in the state of Minnesota. In 1857, Alzono Barron filed plans with Houston County for "Island City", which was to be developing the island into an attractive well plotted out city, but these plans never developed. Buffalo Bill Cody owned land on Barron Island during the late 1800s as well. Around the same time, "White Beaver" Powell bought four acres on the island, reviving the dream of "Island City", but nothing developed (1885). All the land on Barron Island was acquired by A.W. Pettibone for $62,000 in 1901.  Read more ยป