1500 Cass Street
La Crosse, WI 54601
Weigent Park opened in 1977 on the Southside of La Crosse where old Central High resided. Weigent park creates a wonderful atmosphere for families. The park has a playground, shelter, tennis court, softball field, and plenty of open space.
- Tennis Courts
- Open Area
- Outdoor Picnic Area
Weigent Park started when the high school was vacated in 1967. In 1971, the city had to figure out what to do with the school building and grounds. Marianne O'Neil suggested to be used as a self-supporting community center.
Developers submitted plans to construct apartments on the site, come with plans to use the entire block, others with plans leaving half the block as an open park. One persistent developer was Gerrard Realty. Neighboring residents strongly opposed the apartments, fearing an influx of college students. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Gelatt offered $50,000 for the project if it was kept as open space. Read more »