Anderson (Dr. Wendell A.) House
924 Cass St | Designated 09/20/2007
Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Octagonal tower with rectangular lower story; three-sided west side two-story bay with roof dormer above; bargeboards; "stick style" ornament in front gable end; front porch with pediment over entrance and classical swag and bead ornament; stained glass; east side two-story extension; rear two-story addition. Anderson was the mayor of LaCrosse from 1899-1901 and again
from 1907-1909. Because of his support for the city parks system, paving of
city streets and other city improvements, he's considered the foremost example
of Progressivism at the start of the 20th century in LaCrosse. House donated to
First Congregational Church for parsonage in 1929. 2015- "The Wendell Anderson House is a Queen Anne style modest residence.
The multi-gabled two-story irregular mass does not have the size or towering
presence seen in several other Queen Anne style residences in the district.
However, the distinctive corner turret, variation in window size and placement,
and fish-scale cladding in the gable ends are all hallmarks of the Queen Anne
style. Note the half-timbering on the north and west facing gables.Wendell Anderson was the first resident of this home. During the Civil War,
Anderson was a surgeon. He settled in La Crosse in 1866 and began a medical
practice; at the turn of the century he became a two-term mayor. He is best
known for promoting the development of Riverside Park." -"La Crosse, Wisconsin: 10th & Cass Residential Historic District Tour", Prepared by Eric J. Wheeler, (2015).
- (Historical notes from the Wisconsin Historical Society's Architecture and History Inventory)
This site is located in the 10th and Cass Residential Historic District.