August L. Grams House
1429 Main St | Designated 08/21/2014
Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Two story jerkinhead gable roofed rectangular extension at front and rear; side roof dormers, projecting bracketed window grouping in pedimented front gable; round arched stairwell window on west side; eastside round bay window and west side small rectangular bay window; two sided open front porch supported by stone piers; double leafed entrance door; red mortar used in masonry construction; bargeboards; one story rear porch with frame 2nd story. One of the few residences constructed of stone in the City this house is important because it is a well preserved example of stone architecture from the turn of the century. Grams was the proprietor/owner of Morning Star Mills a flour, feed, hay and straw dealership at 220-222 South Front Street. The business had been established in 1891 (c). The Grams moved here sometime during or soon after 1903 from 810 South 8th Street. This part of Main Street is full of famous La Crosse folks. George Zeisler (1321), John C. Kroner (1433); E.B. Usher (1508) (B).
- (Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory).
This site is located in the Cass and King Residential Historic District.