Bodega Brew Pub
122 4th St S | Locally Designated 12/21/1995
Historical Summary of Site:
A "buffet' (a fashionable place serving gentlemen's refreshments). "Bodega" is a Spanish word for establishments that serve drinks in their original containers. The Bodega was opened to women in 1920. Segelke and Hohllhaus built furniture designs of Stoltze and Schick, a local architectural firm for the original Bodega. The Bodega served the La Crosse Community as a social gathering place and dinning place until the mid-1980's.
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Additional Historical Context
Three structures joined to form one establishment - all with molded brick projecting cornices trimmed with rows of dentils on the south structure and corbeled brick on the far north structure; segmental arched two over two windows; 20th century store front common to all three structures.The site of a lunch club and saloon since 1926, the Bodega is one of the very few structures in downtown La Crosse to have maintained a continuity of use and architectural character.This was originally two buildings-the corner building originally was 331 Pearl Street and the present main entrance was the 120 south 4th Street building. Each was built in 1876 by two brothers, Lorenz and George Streigel. Lorenz kept the corner building as a grocery store and liquor store; George kept 120 South 4th as a saloon. The saloon quickly changed hands but stayed a saloon until 1909 when it became a cigar annex to the Bodega, then located at 329 Pearl. In 1926 the Bodega was annexed to it, which was by then located at 331 Pearl Street. The grocery store stayed a grocery store until 1926 when Jules Freas expanded from 120 South 4th to the corner building.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory).
This site is located within the Downtown Commercial Historic District.