Christ Episcopal Church
831 Main St | Locally Designated 06/22/1995 | Nationally Designated 6/19/1885
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Additional Historical Context
White limestone with red sandstone trim; apsidal west end with north south transept, square south tower and 92 ft. square main entrance tower with octagonal roof with arched belfry opening; round arched window with stained glass by Tiffany Co. in south transept, stained glass rose window with tracery in the west gable end, contrasting red sandstone around the top of the main structure, both towers and the round arched portals and windows, short Corinthian styled columns supporting the main tower entrance and forming the open belfry structure; small steeple with gable decorated windows. An excellent example of 19th century Romanesque Revival Church architecture, this visually prominent structure is the most elaborate and significant parachurch representative of the 19th century historic styles remaining in the City of La Crosse. This building replaced a wooden structure on the same site owned by the same parish.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory
This site is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.