Colman-Skaff House

207 West Ave | Locally Designated 09/20/2007

Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Additional Historical Context

Pedimented gable ends; stick style ornament in front gable with small balcony under the gable windows; chamfered corners on front gable with bracketed pent roof and band of decorative shingles encircles house at second floor level; projecting gable roofed bay on north side with oriel window in the gable and two-story gable roofed bay with attached intersecting gable roofed porte cochere; eyelid roof dormer window; north rectangular bay window with decorative shingle roof; circular drive; round corner bay window on north front corner. Constructed in 1883-1884, the Colman House is one of thes earliest significant examples of the early mode of the Victorian Queen Anne style in the city. L.C. Colman, a resident of La Crosse since 1855, built this house between 1884 and 1888. Colman, the son of Charles Lucius Colman, was manager of the C.L. Colman Lumber Co. and secretary of the William Listman Mill Co., when he built this house. 1996- "This large, two-and-one-half story, clapboard house features numerous characteristics of the Victorian Queen Anne style. Attributes include the following: pedimented gable ends with both shingle work and dentil trim as well as decorative half-timbering; an eyebrow dormer; a pent roof overhang with shingle work between the first and second levels; a porte-cochere with turned supports and spindlework; a turret; and oriel windows. This structure is known to have been built in 1883-1884, by Lucius C. Colman, manager of the C. L. Colman Lumber Company."
- "La Crosse North/South Transportation Corridor", WisDOT ID #5991-04-00, Prepared by Heritage Research, Ltd. (1996).
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)

This site is also located with the Cass and King Residential Historic District