Cyphus Martindale House
714 Cass St | Locally Designated 12/18/2003
Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
A board and batten example of the popular mid-19th century Gothic Revival style, the Martindale Cottage is picturesquely irregular in shape. Steeply pitched roof; gingerbread bargeboards; molded window heads; projecting window cornices on west side; decked, front open balustraded porch with scroll brackets and carved square posts; gable roofed rear roof dormer; shed roofed additions on west and rear sides; property surrounded by iron fence. Built in 1859 by Cyprus Martindale, a pioneer druggist, and sold to the Gaspard family in 1885, the board and batten Martindale Cottage is the best example of the few remaining Gothic Revival cottages in La Crosse.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)