Dr. H.H. Chase Bungalow
221 11th St S | Locally Designated 11/20/2003 | Nationally Designated 06/30/1983
Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Window band visually compressed between broad "airplane" roof and overhang and the clapboard covered area below the windows and stuccoes exterior. Vertical projecting piers and the large outside wall chimney break the horizontal line; leaded glass in geometric design storm windows; side entrance.
Contemporary with and essentially identical in plan, except reversed, with the adjacent Wohlhuter House, Percy Bentley and Merman architectural firm designed the twin houses in 1913. As a model for many builders of vernacular Prairie School styled residences in the area, the Chase House is a significant example of a modest design by Percy Bentley, a local architect noted for his Prairie School work in La Crosse.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory).
This site is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.