George H. Ray House
928 King St | Locally Designated 11/19/2004
Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
A large frame two-story house on a stone foundation that has interesting gable roofs with unusual applied Stick style ornamentation in the pedimented gable ends. A conical roofed three-story tower, decorative shingles and three-sided bays on the east and west elevations contribute to the irregularity of form and surface typical of the Queen Anne style. House was originally constructed in 1859 for J.M. Loomis. The house was remodeled in 1891 for George Ray. This house is significant to the architectural variety of La Crosse as an example of the less elaborate vernacular towered house influenced by the Queen Anne style. It was altered in 1891 and 1902. Enclosed porches have been added. George Ray represents the importance of lumber to the history of La Crosse. Lumber was the city's first, and for many years most important industry. Ray used his lumber successes to become involved in other businesses, such as banking. 2015- "This house was built in 1859 in the Italianate style for lumberman James Loomis. Thirty years later this residence was completely re-configured and enlarged in the Queen Anne style. The two-and-a-half story residence has a grandiose multi-gabled mass, three-story round tower with scalloped cladding, and two-story bay that are typical of high-style Queen Anne houses. The open porch at the top of the tower and decorative scrollwork in the front gable-end are distinctive elements. The original highly decorative two-story open porch on the King Street facade has been replaced by a single-story enclosed porch."
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)
This site is located within the 10th and Cass Street Residential Historic District.