German Reformed Church
901 4th St S | Designated 06/20/1996
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Historical Summary of Site
Similar in stone construction to the Zeisler House, the old German Reformed Church is a simple steep gable roofed structure five bays long and three bays wide exhibiting the pointed arch windows and rose window typical of the 19th century Gothic Revival style and the metal dentil trimmed cornice with short returns in the gable end that is associated with the earlier Greek Revival style. Flat metal bands and a metal keystone accent at the point of the arch linking the arches of the windows and doors break the plain flat surfaces of the structure. Features include: Steep gable roof; five bays long and there bays wide; pointed arch stained-glass window and rose stained glass window in gable end; metal dentil trimmed cornice with short returns in gable; metal keystone at point of metal arched window heads linked by metal belt course; enclosed one bay entrance and shed roofed south extension; small cupola on roof. Significance: One of the two best examples of early stone construction remaining in the city, the architectural significance of this church has been altered by the addition of stucco to the upper half of the exterior of the removal of architectural details in September 1984. HISTORICAL STATEMENT: Constructed in 1867 by the German Reformed Church, the structure, now used by the La Crosse Awning and Tent Company, remains relatively unchanged as a significant example of early stone construction in La Crosse. Used by the Reformed Church until the 20th century and used briefly by the First Church of Christ from 1923 to 1925, the old stone church is one of the two oldest church structures and the oldest stone church structure remaining in the city of La Crosse. Built a new church at West Avenue and Market called St. John's Reformed in 1923-1925.
- (Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory