Grand Hotel Commercial Block
205-209 Pearl St | Locally Designated 06/22/1995
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Historical Context Written by Charles Haas
West bays and east upper story added to original two story three story structure, which resulted in the irregular window arrangement on the upper story; projecting metal cornice with "rising sun" ornamented triangular pediment added to completed structure in 1887; flat third story window heads with "rising sun" motif over paired windows and projecting segmental arched window heads with corbeled ends on 2nd story. Long narrow windows have been filled in. Store fronts have been completely altered for contemporary use. Although the store front has been greatly altered and the building in disrepair, the structure is historically important as one of the very few 19th century hotel buildings to remain in downtown La Crosse. The western bays and the east upper story was added to the original two story structure by the owner, Vincent Schwarz in 1887. Built by Schwarz as a furniture story and undertaker business, the structure was converted to the Bronson Hotel in the 1890's.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)