Heileman City Brewery Beer Stube
1000 3rd St S | Designated 05/20/1999
Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Brick section; three stories with 4a Story south corner tower; pressed stone quoins, triangular pediment above cornice line of tower; multi-paned windows with white masonry trim; contrasting masonry materials cover first story exterior and brick recessed panels further divide the brick surfaces. Various additions constructed over the years; stone center three bays; constructed of blocks of local limestone; facade is angled to northwest and articulated by stone piers and dentil blocks along the top of the recessed facade; red brick window surrounds; decorative carved stone and metal plaques ornament the surface. Stained glass windows in the first floor. Part of the original stone brewery complex built by Gund and Heilemann in the mid-19th century, the stone part of the structure (center section) now used to house the plant offices is the only remaining part of the original stone structure constructed when the Gund and Heilemann Brewery was established in 1857. Built and operated by Gund and Heilemann from 1859 until 18971. In the 1859 tax list, it was named the Buck Brewery. The City Brewery, as this building is often called, and as it was later called, was originally located several blocks away. The Gund-Heilemann Brewery is significant because it became the foundation of the city's most important brewery-Heileman's. Heileman and the corporation he founded operated the building after Gund withdrew in 1871. Heileman survived Prohibition and absorbed Bund and C. and J. Michel’s Brewing war and is one of the most important industries in La Crosse.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)