Henry Wohlhunter Bungalow
223 11th St S | Locally Designated 12/18/2003 | Nationally Designated 6/30/1983
Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
In 1913, Chase, a dentist, and his friend Wohlhuter hired Bentley to design side-by-side houses for their families, and Bentley skillfully distilled the classic Prairie formula into a small-scale plan. The nearly mirror-image bungalows occupy narrow lots on either side of a shared driveway and stretch away from the street. Nearly every element of their design emphasizes horizontality: low hipped roofs with wide-overhanging eaves, light-colored bands of stucco interlaced with ribbons of windows, and below the stucco, contrasting bands of dark, horizontal lap-board. Upper stuccoed surface and window band visually compressed between board plane roof overhang and the clapboard covered tower surface below the windows; vertical projecting piers and the large outside wall chimney break the horizontal line; leaded glass in front porch; side entrance; essentially identical in plan except reversed, to the adjacent H.H. Chase House at 221 south 11th Street. Contemporary with and essentially identical in plan, except reversed, with the adjacent Chase House, Percy Bentley of the Bentley and Merman architectural firm designed the twin houses in 1913. As a model for many builders of vernacular Prairie school styled residences in the area, the Wohlhuter House is a significant example of a modest design by Percy Bentley, a local architect noted for his Prairie School work in La Crosse. Harry Wolhuter was manager of the La Crosse Theater when this house was built.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory).
This site is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.