429 7th St N | Locally Designated 06/22/1995 | National Designated 12/30/1974
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Historical Summary of Site
Heavy brackets and dentil trim under broad eaves; two story gable roofed wings (added) on north and south sides; one bay entrance porch with capped carved square posts, arched porch openings and brackets under the eaves; side porch in south angle of house of similar design; plain windows with projecting cornices; gambrel and jerkin head gable roofed carriage house at the rear; iron fence surrounds property; well-crafted woodwork of many varieties and an 1890s Turkish corner is found in the 15 room house containing the original furnishings of the Hixon family. The Hixon House's exterior and interior has been maintained as it was in the 1880s by the La Crosse County Historical Society. The Hixon House is an unusually good example of early La Crosse simplified Italianate influenced by residential architecture because of the excellent preservation of both the exterior and interior features and furnishings. G.C. Hixon was important in the local, and regional, lumber business. In 1870, he partnered with NH Withee to create one of the early logging and lumber firms. As time passed, Hixon and his son Frank obtained rights to other businesses - most distant from La Crosse. GC Hixon and his wife Sarah Crosby Hixon, the half-sister of WW Crosby, came to La Crosse in 1856, but his young wife soon died. Gideon married Ellen Pennell in 1861 and they had five sons. After her death in 1913, her niece Mary Crosby lived in the house until 1936 and added the painted walls of the dining room. From 1945 until 1948 the house was used as a girls' rooming house. Addition of two stories at a cost of $3000.00 in 1870; a two-story wing on the south side was added in 1881, the interior was renovated in 1881, the west.
- (Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory).
This site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.