123 5th Ave S | Locally Designated 02/15/1996
The Hollywood Theater was opened on December 3, 1936. The theater was built by The Welworth Theaters of Wisconsin, designed by the Minneapolis architectural firm of Liebenber Welworth Theaters of Wisconsin, designed by the Minneapolis architectural firm of Liebenber and Kaplan and constructed by the Winona General Contractor, M.L. Christensen. The architectural style of the building is Art Deco style. This structure is an excellent example of the thirties, streamlining the Art Deco Style. The Hollywood Theater was remodeled in 1953 to enable the theater to project cinema scope projection, which required the removal of seating to install the large screen. The theater closed July 28th, 1989, but reopened in the 1990's.
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Additional Historical Context
Brick piers divide side elevation; facade has been stuccoed; part of original store strong box office marquee remains. Glass blocks illuminated from behind created a magical interior.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)
This site is also located within the Downtown Commercial Historic District.