Holway House

1419 Cass St | Locally Designated 06/22/1995  

Notice of Designation of Historic Structure

Three-and-one-half story rock-faced stone Richardsonian Romanesque mansion which has been divided into apartments. Hip roofed structure with gabled wing; three-story round tower on west front and wooden turret on east front; stepped and sculptured front cross gable with round stone buttresses and second story oriel window; a variety of arched and rectangular window shapes; west wooden rectangular bay window and east three-sided bay window; a circle of round windows and brackets under the eaves characterize the three-story tower; east octagonal short tower form with balcony with round arched opening projects from east side; exterior stairs on west side; porte cochere on west side with round arched openings; stone, flat roofed open front porch with round arched openings; elevated foundation; two-story wooden rectangular bay windows on east and west sides; hip roofed rear addition; decked two-story rear porch; gable roofed stone carriage house at rear. Originally designed for Nymphus B. Holway, a lumber baron, by Schick and Stolze of La Crosse in 1891 as a frame house in the Queen Anne style, the three-story hipped and gable roofed house was made more fashionable by the addition of stone facing the following year resulting in the overlay of Romanesque qualities seen in the present structure. The "Castle" is important as a long standing landmark in the architectural environment of La Crosse and is significant as the only mansion remaining in the City exhibiting the massive Romanesque influence. Although designed for him by Schick and Stoltze, Nymphus B. Holway, prominent La Crosse lumberman, died before the house was completed. His widow, Jessie Holway, lived in it instead. Previously, the Holways lived at 236 S. 7th for many years and this house at the corner of 7th and Cass is more accurately associated with the life of N.B. Holway. N.B. Holway was involved in the La Crosse lumber industry, running a large sawmill on the bank of the Black River.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)

This site is located within the Cass and King Residential Historic District.