Isaac Tuteur-Steinam-Powell House

101 9th St S | Designated 

Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form

aired scroll brackets under board eaves; shouldered flat window surrounds with projecting cornices on owner story windows; addition at rear of similar ornamentation; one bay open entrance porch with bracket trim and Tuscan column supports; double leafed entrance door with transom window; two story enclosed rear porch across the rear facade. Although several additions have been made to the original 1859 structure, and a cupola removed, the Teteur House, later called the George and Will Powell House, is important as an example of the trend toward the more decorative architectural styles that occurred when construction material and money become more available in mid-19th century La Crosse and a significant representative of early Italianate influence in La Crosse architecture. Will Powell was a druggist and self-promoter. Isacc Teuter, was a wholesale liquor jobber. He arrived in La Crosse during the late 1850s. His business flourished in La Crosse with its established rail connections to southern Minnesota and the Dakotas. George and William Powell were the brothers of "Dr. D.F. Powell-White Beaver (as his Indian friends call him.) Dr. D.F. Powell - was one of La Crosse's most interesting characters and 3 times mayor. George and William were also "doctors" and were partners in the Powell Institute and in the patent medicine business that Dr. D.F. Powell established in La Crosse. This house was rehabilitated, and vinyl siding was added in 1995.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)