J.B. Cantebury Building
531-535 Main St | Locally Designated 04/16/2015
Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Of rather eclectic design, the Canterbury Building features a metal Italianate cornice and frieze over a brick facade articulated by a Romanesque blind round arch supported by short small chopped brick piers over paired windows small pedimented gable roofs over a pair of three sided oriel windows in the end bays of the upper; white stone belt courses and decoration brick work under the center windows further articulate the surface. Store fronts have been altered for contemporary commercial use. Constructed in 1889 by J.B. Canterbury, a real estate dealer as an investment, the Honig Gift Shop is significant to the architectural variety of La Crosse as an example of the rampant eclecticism commonly found in commercial architecture during the late 19th century. It is a brick veneer building. Constructed by A. Johnson, contractor, for $6000.00.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)