Leo Schroeder House
930 6th St S | Locally Designated 05/22/2008
Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Broad overhanging roof. Rectangular bay on south side; screened full length brick porch. Leaded glass and ornamental tiles on porch and large chimney. Decked rear porch. The Leo W. Schroeder House is a two-story, American Foursquare residence with Prairie influences, and was constructed c.1917. It is clad in brick and stucco, separated by a concrete belt course. Asphalt shingles cover the hip roof and small hip dormer on the front (east) facade. A hip roof porch spans the front facade, supported by brick posts and a brick balustrade with concrete accents. A bay window projects from the south (side) elevation, adjacent to a brick exterior chimney that extends through the broad eaves. A one-story enclosed porch extends on the rear (west) elevation; its flat roof is enclosed with a plain wood balustrade. Windows are a mixture of double-hung and fixed sash, many of which feature leaded glass in their upper panes. 1996- "Rising two stories, this foursquare residence exhibits the Prairie School influence. A masonry belt course defines the separation of brick and stucco wall treatments, and a flat roof, stuccoed rectangular bay projects from the south wall. A large, brick chimney breaks through the wide eave of the low, hip roof and continues for another one-half story. A hip roof screen porch has large, brick pier supports with ornamental stone insets, and a one story, rear porch extends to the west and carries a wooden balustrade at the second level. A stuccoed, hip roof dormer fronts the east entrance facade, and some leaded glass windows are apparent along the second level."
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)