401 Main St | Locally Designated 08/4/1995
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Historical Context Written by Myrna D. Peacock
Massive four-story round arches on south and west facades; plain rectangular windows with round arched grouping in the top of the round arches; battlements at ends of building and framing the recessed central entrance bay in the facade; massive round arched central entrance was removed when contemporary front of brown stone was added; rear elevations are brick. Constructed in 1885-1886 by Alexander McMillan, a local investor and realtor, on the site of a city park featuring an artesian well, the McMillan Building, originally used as a business block and now known as the State Bank Building, constructed of local stone. Unfortunately, the store front has been altered, eliminating the massive oracles on the lower story. Alexander McMillan was an important La Crosse figure. He was involved in civic affairs, local politics, and in the local financial network. He was one of La Crosse's lumber barons. McMillan had other interests, such as banking, and played a role in civic affairs. He became mayor in 1871. He was active in the Board of Trade. The State Bank of La Crosse was one of the three main financial institutions of the city.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)
This site is also located within the Downtown Commercial Historic District.