Milwaukee Road Passenger Depot
601 St Andrews St | Locally Designated 11/16/1995 | Nationally Designated 12/1/1997
Historical Summary of Site:
The C.M. & St. Paul Railway Station was dedicated on January 31, 1927. The main depot has a hint of the Spanish type construction. The design comes from the in-house engineering department of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad. The style is eclectic. The two story structure and hip roof are of the Tusca Italianate style. The brick corner quoins are Georgian and the stone banding of the building at the lower windows is Romanesque Revival style. The general contractors were from Milwaukee, however, most of the sub-contractors were La Crosse firms: E.H. Derr & Sons, excavating and landscape; Gateway Lumber Co. provided lumber; John Ledeger, sheetmetal work, tile roofing and composition roofing; F.M. Branson and Sons, plumbing and heating equipment installation; Segelke & Kohlhaus Manufacturing Co., doors, windows, frames and all interior trim; Clark-Bracken, Inc., electrical installation and lighting; Trane Co. concealed heaters; John Torrance and Sons Foundry, ornamental iron work and North La Crosse Lumber cement for the concrete work. The Milwaukee Road Depot served fourteen main line passenger trains and four Dubuque division trains in 1927. In 1930, there were 58 passenger trains running into and out of the City of La Crosse. The structure site settled a long local controversy over a union station proposal for La Crosse. The Supreme Court ruled against States ordering union depots to be built.
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Additional Historical Context
The WHS holds a covenant on this property in perpetuity. An important but not significant example of architecture connected with railroad transportation. Renaissance style. Spanish tile roof.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory
This site is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.