Mons Anderson House
410 Cass St | Locally Designated 12/21/1995
A two story stone house of multiple gables and hip roofed. Pedimented stone window heads, pointed arch windows on the facade, projecting window heads on the east wing, chimney crowns, a three sided bay window in the west elevation, a balcony on the third story of the tower, gable roofed doorhoods over the main double leafed entrance and over east single door entrance. The west wing visually linking the tower and main entrance characterize this mid-19th century Italianate revival styled house. Dr. Les Crocker listed this home in "A preliminary List of Buildings in the City of La Crosse with Significant Architectural Value," 1977. He reported it as the most architecturally significant and most elaborate house of this style remaining in the City of La Crosse. The house constructed by Mons Anderson, a successful merchant of the early La Crosse. Architectural Historian Joan Rausch also listed this property as historically significant in her 1983-84 survey of La Crosse.
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Original house was built by Andrew Shepherd; Enlarged for Mons Anderson (Restored in 1986).
Intersecting gable roofs with front cross gable and hip roofed rear wing; three-story square tower with 3rd story iron balcony; pointed arched windows on front facade; projecting window heads on the east wing; three-sided bay window on west wing; gable roofed door hoods over the main double door entrance and over the east single door entrance; arcade of pointed arches forming a veranda across the facade of the west wing visually link the tower and main entrance; chimney crowns; polychromatic glazed tile roof added to structure in 1983-1984. This stone Italianate styled house is the most architecturally significant and the most elaborate house of this style remaining in the area as well as the City of La Crosse. Enlarged from a small cottage (now the east wing) in 1878 and surrounded by an iron fence by Mons Anderson, a successful merchant of early La Crosse, the house has remained as he constructed it. Mons Anderson was one of the largest merchants in Wisconsin history. He came to La Crosse in 1852. In 1883 he began constructing his huge five story merchandising center. Anderson ceased retail operation in 1885 and concentrated on wholesale trade. Anderson supplied work clothing and general merchandise and was heavily involved with supplying lumbermen. Triangular pediment shaped stone window heads with incised rosette; enclosed porch on one story ell.
- (Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)
This site is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.