143 8th St S | Locally Designated 09/21/1995
Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Intersecting mansard roof. Multiple gable roofed dormers; bracketed eaves of mansard roof. Segmental arched windows in center block; three-sided bay on south side; various two-story additions and added enclosed porch. This house was built by Henry Esperson in 1876 for $9000.00 and occupied by W.W. Cargill, local grain merchant in 1878-1880s and by A.M. Pettibone, local lumberman in 1884. Esperson came to La Crosse in 1858. He had a jewelry business in 1861, but it was a tough business in a small, new town. He was listed in the first city directory of 1866 as a land agent and in 1869, he was building a new brick commercial block on Third Street. Pettibone remodeled the house in 1898 into a Second Empire style house and lived there until his death in 1915. Originally, the red brick walls would have been in strong contrast with the light-colored sandstone window heads and sills. The wide window heads would have been dramatic, emphasizing the openings in the walls. While the new roof on the Italianate house was Second Empire, the spindle work porch was from the Queen Anne style. Today, the spindle work porch is gone.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)