S.S. Burton House
929 King St | Designated 02/19/2004
Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
William Listman was the builder. This frame, two-story, cubic shaped house on a stone foundation has a low hip roof of terneplate intersected at the rear by a hip roofed extension. Dentil trim and paired brackets under the overhanging eaves of the roof and of the three-sided bay windows and an entrance placed to the side are features of this early picturesque house of Italianate influence. An arcade of round arches resting on pilasters and an entrance door framed by a similar arched formation characterize the flat roofed entry. Features include: arched entrance and windows and pilaster framing; hip roofed rear two-story extension with similar ornament; one story enclosed modern porch added on west side; projecting cornices and modern exterior shutters on windows. This well maintained restored house is significant as a representative of early 1870s La Crosse architecture in addition to its significance as a frame example of the early Italianate influence. In 1881 Samuel S. Burton was cashier of the La Crosse National Bank. Burton was active in additional circles and helped with the attempt to form a medical college in La Crosse. Associated individuals: 1871 Samuel S. Burton; 1893 Munson Burton; 1896 W.W. Withee; 1896 Louisa Haskill Withee; 1910 Arthur and Theodore Beutler; 1903 B.N. Gunn. 2015- "The Italianate style Samuel Burton House has a two-story cubic mass, low-pitch hip roof with paired brackets, tall narrow windows and clapboard siding that highlight this popular mid-19th century architectural style. A highly decorated octagonal, grade-level bay window with classical corner pilasters is on the King Street facade. The east-side entry connecting the north and south sections has arched openings with paired brackets, dentils under the eaves and corner pilasters like the bay window to the south. The original section of the home, which is shorter and more rectangular, was built several years before the ornate high-style addition to the south. The pedimented roof and shorter stories of the original section show a Greek Revival influence that was typical of simple Civil War-era wood frame houses."
-"La Crosse, Wisconsin: 10th & Cass Residential Historic District Tour", Prepared by Eric J. Wheeler, (2015).
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)
This site is located within the 10th and Cass Residential Historic District.