1721 King St | Locally Designated 12/21/1995
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Historical Context Written by Patrica & Yvon Araktingi
Constructed in 1919 for Argle Scott, president of the La Crosse Box Company, the white frame two-story Scott House is a typical centrally planned traditional colonial house on the interior, but the exterior has non-traditional flush boards separated to create strong horizontal shadow lines visually read as capped clapboards. Exhibiting the appearance of traditional classical architecture, the design of the Palladian entry and the Palladian styled window in the west gable are, however, Bentley and Merman reinterpretations of the style. Features include: siding of flush boards separated to create strong horizontal shadow lines; 5-bay facade with one-bay Palladian styled entrance with broken pediment with "Rising Sun" design on the tympanum and stylized classical column supports over side lighted entrance door, framed by applied pilasters; six over six windows; screened east side porch; cornice returns and quarter round window in gable ends; shed roofed dormer and one-story addition at the rear; Palladian styled window in east gable. In the mode of the colonial style that the later brought national recognition to Percy Bentley, the Scott House is significant as the only example of the Colonial Revival style by Percy Bentley in partnership with Otto Merman in La Crosse.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)
This site is located within the Cass and King Street Residential Historic District.