225-227 3rd St N | Locally Designated 03/21/1996
Embodies the distinguishing characteristics of Romanesque and Neo-classic architectural styles. It is inherently valuable as an example of a modest 19th century commercial building that has retained its original architectural details. Unlike many other downtown La Crosse buildings from the 19th century it has not been covered with false fronts. The first building that La Crosse architects Gustav Stoltze and Hugo Schnick designed as a firm. They were La Crosse's leading architectural firm during the 1888-99 period. The building was built for Peter Schintgen a resident of La Crosse from May, 1855 until his death in November of 1905. He was a La Crosse pioneer business person and served as alderman during the Cities early history.
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Historical Context Written by Douglas Connell
Slightly projecting entrance bay with round pediment inscribed with P. Schintgen and the "Rising Sun" design above other side oriel window on the 2nd story and large round arched opening with keystone and rough brick work on the haunch that leads to two recessed store fronts and one 2nd story door; white stone accents; flat arched windows on 2nd story. Constructed in 1890 by Peter Schintgen, a dealer in ice, wood, and hay, the Schintgen Building is important to the architectural variety of La Crosse as an example of the modest 19th century commercial establishment that has trained its Romanesque architectural details, particularly a handsome round arched portal, while in continual use. The building replaced a stone blacksmith shop and a wooden confectionary. The building was built by Peter Schinzten, an ice dealer who lived at 75 South Thirds. It originally housed the La Crosse Turkish Bath Institute with James L. Peterson, Proprietor, a grocery run by AA McDonnell, who owned the Washington House at 329 Vine and his son, John; and a confectionary run by Frank Marquerdt.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)