T.H. Spence House
920 King St | Locally Designated 08/22/2003
Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Spence was a wholesale druggist. Queen Anne building with scalloped shingles in the gables and in the bay windows, a small porch in the front gable, corner gable in the northeast corner, bargeboard and a porch in the front. Multi-gabled: pedimented two-story west side gable with chamfered corners on lower story gabled bay projection to the front with balustraded open porch in gable end, and rectangular two-story gabled bay with chamfered corners on the lower story on the east side. Two story rectangular bay with gable roof on west corner; double leafed entrance door with glass panels; two-story hip roofed front bay window with bands of decorative shingles; brackets under the eaves; screened front porch. Converted to apartments in 1945. 2015- "The Thomas Spence House has architectural elements seen in Queen Anne style homes built late in the 19th century. The multi-gabled asymmetrical mass with projecting and recessed bays, narrow clapboard siding, scalloped cladding, open porches and towering decorative chimney are all consistent with this style. The residence was converted to apartments in 1945. In 1874 Thomas H. Spence founded a pharmacy that became the Spence-McCord Drug Company. The headquarters were on Front Street near present day Spence Park. The park was established in 1898 on La Crosses’ primary steamboat landing and later merged with Riverside Park."-"La Crosse, Wisconsin: 10th & Cass Residential Historic District Tour", Prepared by Eric J. Wheeler, (2015)
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)
This site is located within the 10th and Cass Street Residential Historic District.