US Fish Control Lab
410 E Veterans Memorial Dr | Nationally Designated 09/17/81
Built in 1924 and ceded by the City to the Federal Government in the same year, the brick two-story U.S. Fish Control Laboratory has a five-bay center structure covered by a Mediterranean influenced red tile roof and flanked by recessed flat roofed wings giving a horizontal emphasis to the eclectic structure. The brick quoins, the belt and string courses, and the pedimented entry framed by Tuscan columns are architectural details associated with the early 20th century Neo-classical style popular in the design of public buildings. Added to the National Register in 1981, the former U.S. Fish Control Laboratory is historically significant as one of the very few fish laboratories in the United States. Architecturally well maintained, the Fish Control Laboratory represents La Crosse's continuous association with the Mississippi River. Ole U.S. Facility for fish rescue, warm and cold-water culturing, control of mussel population, and the study center for control of the lamprey eel. N in the photo codes stands for national register. This building was constructed by local contractor, Charles Noble.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory).
This site is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.