W.W. Withee House
1434 Cass St | Locally Designated 04/16/2015
Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Front cross gable with Palladian styled window and buttresses at the sides; three-story round tower intersecting hip roof at east front and two-story tower on west side; both with brackets under the eaves; white stone belt courses at above and below the windows of the house and towers; slightly projecting entrance bay; two-sided porch with rounded corner supported by short Tuscan columns placed on porch rail; porte cochere on west side supported by similar columns; elevated foundation; outside chimneys with chimney crowns; rear roof dormer and enclosed porch with diamond pane leaded glass; bracketed eaves; coach house remains at the rear. Although suffering minor alterations, the house constructed in 1897 for W.W. Withee, a La Crosse lumberman and president of the Security Savings Bank, is a significant example of one of the few brick interpretations of the Queen Anne style and as one of the few remaining well preserved mansions built by the lumber barons who made La Crosse history. Withee was a La Crosse businessman and son of Myram Withee. In 1891, he was living with his widowed mother at 236 South Ninth. He first appears in the city directories as living at this address in the 1897-1898 directory. Originally, a brick veneer barn stood at the back of the property. Contractor: James Stormont.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)
This site is located within the Cass and King Residential Historic District.