YWCA/John Rehfuss Building
418 Main St | Locally Designated 08/21/2014
Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Projecting metal cornice with brackets under the overhang and parapet with inscription "Rehfuss Building" above brick facade divided vertically by staged capped pilasters with upper capitals terminating in the metal cornice; series of round arched windows at the top of the center three-part window bays; two-story oriel windows on the east and west side of the facade with hip roof, dentil trim and pilaster framing; plain projecting cornice supported by capped pilasters at the ends of the facade; recessed store front has been altered from the original. John Rehfuss Building is a prominent example of 19th century eclectic architecture in downtown La Crosse. One of four large buildings in the 400 block of Main Street, the structure has retained remarkable architectural integrity. The Rehfuss Building is a significant example of 19th century commercial architecture in La Crosse. Not the best example of work by Schick and Stolze, the Rehfuss Building along with the Tillman Brothers Building at 116 South 4th is the best preserved. Built by John Rehfuss, son of Frederick Rehfuss, a prominent German immigrant butcher who settled in La Crosse in 1856. The original Rehfuss building was constructed in 1866 on the present site. In 1894, John Rehfuss moved the butcher shop from this building to 320 South 5th and enlarged the original building to its present form. In its present form, the Rehfuss building has always housed dry goods stores in one form or another until the Jupiter Discount Store recently closed.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)
This site is located within the Downtown Commercial District.