William E Potter Building (Facade Only)
107-109 3rd St S | Locally Designated 03/5/1997
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Symmetrical seven bay structure with projecting center bay with corbeled ornament, round metal pediment extending above and "WEP": and "1892" inscribed on recessed panel, projecting bracketed cornice with parapet above and corbeled brick work below flat, straight window lintels, with stone belt course below window sills; groved brock piers at ends of facade. Store front completely altered. The W.E.P. Building constructed in 1892 and the site of the Weston and Simon Drug Store and the Hub Bar at the turn of the century makes an important contribution to the prevailing 19th century streetscape on Third Street. As early as 1870, J.W. Weston, druggist, is listed in the city directory at 7 South Third. He is listed there in 1882, the last year that the old building address system was used. In 1884, the 7 South Third Street building is listed as 107 South Third, and Western and Simon are the ruggists. Up to 1890, hardware stores under various owners were listed at 9 South Third, and after 1884, at 109 South Third - except of 1870, when it was a bookstore. In 1891, 109 South Third is James Mitchell's auction and clothing store. In 1893 Mitchell is listed as a pwen broker at the same addrsss. The 1892 date on the facade is probably the alteration date. The Sanborn-Perris maps show that the building in its present form existed by 1884. The 1879 map shows similar buildings in place as in the 1884 map, but without the central stairs or the same building length. It seems that the 1870 buildings were remodeled by/in 1884 and that in 1892 the facade was altered.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)
This site is located within the Downtown Commercial Historic District.