Portion of South Facade of Rubber Mills
1407 St Andrews St | Locally Designated 11/18/2004
Local Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Two industrial buildings forming U-shaped complex with curtain walls of multi-paned casement windows. Modern construction of brick curtain walls with large multi-paned casement windows between the piers. East end was constructed in 1923; west in 1916. The Rubber Mills is the best example of an early modern, early 20th century industrial structure in the city of La Crosse. Begun in 1897, by 1904 it was among the largest companies of its kind. It manufactures wet weather clothing. In 1907, A. Hirschheimer was president, M. Funk was vice-president, Albert Funk was Secretary/treasurer, and George S. Andrews was general manager. The La Crosse Rubber Mills was established in 1877 with the help of the La Crosse Ward of Trade. It became very important and successful. It was (and is) one of the city's major employers. The La Crosse Rubber Mills began operations by making rain rubber footwear where it gained international status. It still plays an important role in the industrial economy of La Crosse. At least five buildings were added to the plant by 1929, replacing all the original buildings on the site that were constructed before 1913. 1996- "These two, four story buildings, which historically housed the La Crosse Rubber Mills Company, are vernacular structures with early modernist influences. While one of the buildings was constructed in 1916, the other was erected in 1923. Both consist of brick curtain walls and concrete, as concrete piers form a grid encasing original multi-paned windows. Although the buildings currently house the La Crosse Footwear Company, they were important to the city's industrial history and continue to function in their originally-designed, industrial capacity. In addition, the building's architectural integrity remains intact." -LaCrosse North/South Transportation Corridor", WisDOT ID #5991-04-00, Prepared by Heritage Research, Ltd. (1996).
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)