1310 Denton Street | Locally Designated 12/21/1995
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
Built in 1889, one of the very few small 19th century family businessess remaining in La Crosse to continue as part of the neighbor culture from the late 19th century until the present time. The brick and frame construction in a vernacular Itlianate style features a brick false front or parapet concealing the gable and is ornamented by a simple bracketed cornice. The store front has been altered through the years. Joan Rausch included this business in the 1938-84 historic survey.
The tavern has been owned and operated by continuously in the same location for 106 years. For all but one of those years, it was owned by the same family.
Of brick and frame construction in a vernacular Italianate style, J.P. Strasser's tavern features a brick false front or parapet covering the street facing gable end; stone front has been altered and filled on for contemporary use; bracketed projecting cornice; shed roofed east side additions.
-(Historical notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)