605 N 6th St | Locally Designated 6/2/1995
Notice of Designation of Historic Structure
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form
Cornice returns and small round arched window in front cross gable; segmental arched window with radiating brick voussoirs over 1-over-1 windows; one-bay open entrance porch with spindels and turned posts; stone sills.
Constructed prior to the Civil War of local brick, this cottage is the best preserved example of early brick vernacular cottages in the city. Jacobus lived here with his retired father beginning about 1895-96. He ran a drugstore on Main Street.
This cottage apparently was constructed in 1876, according to the newspaper notation; however, the city tax records do not show an accompanying rise in property value but does show a significant rise between 1884 and 1885, which accounts for the previously determined construction date of 1884. Furthermore, this cottage is similar to another cottage built in 1875 at 823 Adams Street.
1996- "This brick, Greek Revival house is a one-and-one-half story, side gable house with an aluminum-sheathed roof. A partial pediment featuring an arched window is located above a small, hip roof(?) entry porch with turned porch supports, a spindled frieze and balustrade. Other details include deep roof returns, while one-over-one, double-hung sashes include masonry lug sills and are topped with brick segmental arches. To the rear, there is a one story addition with clapboard siding. The integrity of this structure has remained intact, and the individual features of the residence are distinctly reflective of the Greek Revival style; however, it appears that the structure lies just outside of the APE."
-"La Crosse North/South Transportation Corridor", WisDOT ID #5991-04-00, Prepared by Heritage Research, Ltd. (1996).
-(Historical Notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory)