Magill Brothers Building
800 Rose St. | Locally Designated 4/15/1999
Local Register of Historic Places Designation
Corner bank with Masonic Temple constructed around the rear and north side. Wooden corner octagonal bay over the corner entrance covered with an octagonal conical roof topped by a finial. Metal bracketed cornice underlined by a band of decorative brick; segmental arched windows with radiating brick and stone voussoirs with larger round arched windows at intervals; iron Corinthian column frame entrance; doors and windows of Masonic Temple have been filled with concrete block on lower story.
The most prominent 19th century structure remaining in the Rose Street commercial district was constructed in 1884 on a corner site, the McGill Brothers Bank, better preserved than the adjoining Masonic Temple, is the most elaborate North La Crosse commercial structure influenced by the 19th century Queen Anne style.
The bank building at 800 Rose had offices on the second floor. At 802 Rose (attached and connected) was a grocery store with the Masonic Hall above. The brothers E.B. and H.P. Magill began the Exchange Bank of North La Crosse in July 1884 at 541 Mill St. with a branch at 301 Main St. (see p. 79, 1885-6 La Crosse City Directory). By 1888, they are at 800 Rose. E.B. Magill began as a messenger for the Batavian Bank and rose to bank clerk before beginning the Exchange Bank. Magill also was associated with the Wisconsin Telephone Company and the Security Bank of La Crosse.
The Exchange State Bank was important for citizens of North La Crosse. It was the only bank located in north La Crosse.
Bank building constructed by local contractor F.X. De Lorean for $4000 and the Masonic Temple for $6000.00.
-(Historical Notes from the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory.)