No person shall keep, conduct or maintain any building, structure, yard, or place for keeping, storing, or piling in commercial quantities, whether temporarily, irregularly or continually, any old cloth, rags, paper, rubbish, bottles, rubber, iron, brass, copper, or other metal, motor vehicles or parts thereof, or other articles which from their worn condition render it practically useless for the purpose for which it was made and which is commonly classed as junk, whether with a fixed place of business or as an itinerant buyer, without first having obtained a license therefor.
For more information, refer to Chapter 10, Article XI of the La Crosse Municipal Code.
"Junk dealer" – A person who operates a junkyard, as defined above, within the City.
"Itinerant junk dealer" – Any person who buys, sells, collects or delivers junk within the City as a business or employment within the City, but who is not an operator of a junkyard within the City or an employee of such an operator.
The license year shall be from July 1 to June 30 following and may be renewed for additional one year periods.
The non-refundable license fee is due at the time of application (cash, check payable to City Treasurer or credit with convenience fee).
- $160.00 - Junk Dealer
- $110.00 - Itinerant Junk Dealer
How to Apply
Applications shall be made in writing on the form prescribed by law and filed with the City Clerk's Office who may issue the same after appropriate review by the La Crosse County Health Department, Police Department and Fire Prevention and Building Safety Bureau, and approval by the Common Council. All applications for this license must be in writing to the City Clerk not less than 15 days prior to the granting of this license.
Any premises and all structures thereon used for the purposes set forth above shall be so situated and constructed that the business of junk dealer may be carried on in a sanitary manner, shall contain no fire hazards, and shall be arranged so that thorough inspection may be made at any time by the proper health, fire, building or police authorities. The premises of a junk dealer shall be enclosed by a proper fence, or other structure not less than 6 nor more than 8 feet in height, constructed so that none of the material stored within said fence may pass through. Such enclosure shall be maintained in good condition at all times. Articles may be piled above the height of said fence provided there is no dust or dirt emanating from said materials and being deposited beyond the fence and further provided that there is no safety hazard to passersby.
Limitation of Location
No premises shall be used for carrying on the business of junk dealing within a distance of 1,000 feet from land zoned for single family residence district, residence district, multiple dwelling district, special multiple dwelling district, or low density multiple dwelling district unless a waiver is granted by the Common Council pursuant to Section 10-460(b). If premise for which application is being made for a Junk Dealer was established after July 22, 2017, a $150.00 waiver fee is due at the time of application (in addition to the license fee).
No vehicle registered and used in the conduct of a junk dealer business may be stopped, left unattended or parked on any public right of way within 1,000 feet from land zoned for single family residence district, residence district, multiple dwelling district, special multiple dwelling district or low density multiple dwelling district unless the operator is actively engaged in the course of business at the time the vehicle is parked.
No junk dealer or shall carry on his business at or from any place other than the one designated in the license, nor shall said business be carried on after such license has been revoked or has expired.
- No junk dealer shall make any purchase from any person or receive any articles between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
- No junk dealer shall purchase or acquire from any person under the age of 18 years any junk, other than old rags or paper, without the written consent of a parent or guardian.
- No junk dealer shall purchase or acquire any item from an intoxicated person.
- The contents of the premises of any junk dealer shall be arranged in an orderly manner with all similar things located together so as to facilitate inspection by the proper authorities. The premises of every junk dealer shall be subject to inspection by the proper municipal authorities at any time.
- In the case of motor vehicles, the junk dealer shall keep a record of the purchase, which shall include the trade name, the motor and serial numbers, the style of body, model, color, and the license number, if any.
- Any junk dealer or itinerant junk dealer who shall have or receive any goods, articles, or things lost or stolen, or alleged or supposed to have been lost or stolen, shall exhibit the same on demand to any police officer.
For more information, contact the City Clerk's Office at (608) 789-7510.