Are you looking for a career in law enforcement as a Police Officer? Look no further than the City of La Crosse Police Department!
Our mid-sized department is made up of 98 sworn officers who serve in various roles such as shift patrol and command, investigations, and community services with ample opportunity to advance through the ranks as Officer, Investigator, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, and above! The Department also boasts numerous special teams such as Emergency Response Team, K-9 Unit, Bike Patrol, Water Patrol, Segway Patrol, Honor Guard, as well as specialized assignments like Neighborhood Resource Officer, School Resource Officer, and Community Policing Officer. The training we offer is second to none with opportunities to be certified as a Field Training Officer, DAAT or Firearms Instructor, as well as Taser, Standardized Field Sobriety Test, and Drug Recognition Expert classifications. On top of these fantastic opportunities, the members of the La Crosse Police Department have the support and assistance of our internal Police Officer Support Team and the greater La Crosse Area Law Enforcement Chaplaincy.
Some other benefits that La Crosse Police Officers enjoy:
- Competitive pay with the opportunity to make over $55k after the first year
- Shift differential pay and education incentives
- 12-hour schedule on a 2/2, 3/2, 2/3 cycle which equates to every other weekend off!
- Ability to earn up to 6 weeks of paid vacation
- Annual Holiday bank of 11 days
- Cumulative compensatory time up to 80 hours and sick leave up to 120 days
- Opportunity to use sick leave for 4 Personal Business Days (8 hours per day) and 3 Family Care Days (8 hours per day)
- Other common Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, Life Insurance benefits
Open Application Period
If this sounds like a great opportunity, we are pleased to announce that the City of La Crosse Police & Fire Commission is accepting applications for the entry-level law enforcement position of Police Officer on an ongoing basis! This recruitment process will be used to fill current vacancies and to establish an eligibility list for use in filling future vacancies.
Please review the following information for instructions regarding the recruitment process, qualifications, benefits, and more.
- Notice of Open Application and Recruitment Process
- Applicant Qualifications
- Fringe Benefits Summary
- Lateral Transfer Information
- Physical Readiness Test: Description of Requirements and Video Demonstration from the Wisconsin Department of Justice - Training & Standards
If you have any questions about what it's like to be part of the La Crosse Police Department, contact our Professional Standards/Community Services Bureau at (608) 789-7240.
Applicants must submit a complete application packet by Wednesday, February 5, 2020. Applicants who submit a completed application packet by the deadline and meet minimum qualifications will be invited to a written exam, physical readiness test, and interview on February 13 or 14, 2020.
Visit the Human Resources posting for application packet requirements or contact HR at (608) 789-7595.
For more information on the City of La Crosse area: