In order to assist persons with disabilities or those that are physically unable, and who do not have anyone to help them, the City of La Crosse and Harter’s Quick Clean-Up have set up a program to help these residents get their refuse and recycling collected. This program is referred to as HEMD. Qualified residents will have their carts wheeled to the collection point and back by Harter’s truck drivers.
Be advised that this service is currently offered at no charge. If the City decides to bill for this service, the resident would be notified in advance.
TO QUALIFY FOR THE HEMD SERVICE, ALL ADULT PERSONS RESIDING AT PROPERTY MUST:
- Be unable to wheel their carts to the collection location.
- Have no one else who can assist them, such as a spouse or other live-in family member or personal assistant.
- Be certified by a Licensed Physician or Medical Provider as needing assistance.
- Call our office 608-789-7508, for an application, then submit it to your health care provider to fill out and return the HEMD application to us.
- On your collection day, carts must be placed outside where they can be seen from the truck by the truck driver.
- In winter, a path must be cleared so the driver can get the carts to the truck and back.